Saturday, July 27, 2013

What is your passion?



Defend the weak and the fatherless Psalm 82:3a
Yes, I was bit by the adoption bug. It bit a long time ago and now it has grown into a passion—a passion that I believe God has put there for his purpose. I think God wants to give all of us a passion to change this world for him. Some will change the world in small ways—like bringing a hurting child into a home full of love, and for some it will be in big ways—you know, like the Billy Graham sort of big. But, I think when considering the passion that God has placed in your heart, it can’t be measured by human standards. To God each calling has significance, big or small, and each serves to further his kingdom here on earth.

Regardless of what your passion is, I can say with almost complete certainty that it probably isn’t an easy thing. He rarely calls us to easy things. He usually calls
us out of our comfort zone. I’m learning that it’s okay to go there. When we are out of our comfort zone it is where we can more clearly see God at work because we know that it is nothing that we have done (but everything that HE has done) to make the passion a reality. He chooses to use us, broken vessels, for his glory.

A friend sent me a short article written by an adoptive mom of two teenage boys from war-torn Liberia entitled, “There’s No Way” by Lysa TerKeurst. The title itself speaks volumes when you stop to consider the myriad of difficulties that accompany adoption.  I think it echoes the way many people feel when God lays a passion on their heart, adoption or otherwise. So many of the things this adoptive mom said reverberated in my heart. She says things in a way that give clarity to what I feel about adoption, but I’m not always able to articulate so plainly. For me, I can’t escape this passion for adoption, and truthfully I don’t want to escape it. I’ve stopped trying to escape it.

Lysa Terkeurest said it best when describing her initial reaction to God’s call on her heart to adopt:
“The invitation was mine.
And I knew it.
No matter how many times I whispered over and over, ‘There's no way,’ this nagging sense of possibility wouldn't leave me. It wove its way through every fiber of my being until I stood up and shifted everything I thought my family would be with one weak whisper, ‘Yes.’”

These children need to be rescued and they need people who have been given God’s passion to do it. People who have answered “Yes” to go where he has called. It might mean a journey across the ocean. It might mean a child in your own backyard. Either way, it will certainly mean some heartache. It will mean turning your family upside down for a while. It will mean being tired, sad, overwhelmed, and uncomfortable. It might even mean saying from time to time, “Lord, why did you ask this of me? It is too hard.” But I also believe that adoption will mean some other things too—things that will overshadow all the others. It will mean love. It will mean new beginnings (and I’m not just referring to the adopted child). It will mean redemption and rescue. And aren’t these all the very things that God has already done for each of us? I know the adoption of two special needs orphans sounds so overwhelming, and I know it will be, especially at first. But, I also know that God has called our family to this and we can’t just close our eyes. I know there will be lots of joy in the journey. I know there will be sorrow too. More than anything we want God to be honored as we obey his call.

Truthfully, I’m praying that God will burden others in the same way that he has burdened us because there are so, so many precious ones who are counting on people to respond to that burden.  These children’s stories are seared in my memory, their little eyes speak to me, and I just can’t seem to escape it. Someone to hold them, someone to cheer them on, someone to love them as they are, but call them to something more. These are the simple things we take for granted when we are surrounded by people who love us, but these are the same things that, when missing, are longed for more than anything by little treasures who have yet to feel cherished.

Even the best orphanages and foster homes can’t take the place of a forever family. Is God calling your family out of your comfort zone? If so, don’t be afraid to say yes. Join us on this journey—we would love nothing more than to have others with us on this adoption ride!

Has God given you a different passion to change the world? Than do it! You may think “it is impossible” but if God calls he will be faithful to carry you through each and every difficulty and give you joy in the journey.

If you are interested in Lysa’s entire article you can read it here: http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f63562b3be485ea0ae33acf18&id=5d954fab60.

Just some of the millions of little ones who have touched our hearts and who need a forever family:

To find out more about “Lanie” you can visit here: http://reecesrainbow.org/?s=lanie





To find out more about “Ryan” you can visit here: http://reecesrainbow.org/61386/ryanl





To find out more about “Phineas” you can visit here: http://reecesrainbow.org/?s=phineas





To find out more about “Artie” you can visit here: http://reecesrainbow.org/62689/artie





To find out more about “Jada” (aging out and no longer available for adoption after February 2014) you can visit here: http://reecesrainbow.org/62657/jada





To find out more about “Jeremy” visit here: http://reecesrainbow.org/57397/jeremy

To see all the waiting children available through the ministry where we found Micah and Aubrey please visit: http://reecesrainbow.org/
And if you have any questions for us, please don’t hesitate to ask!

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment